Press & Publications
Press & Publications
John Carlson and Tracy Fessenden
- Is America Losing its Civil Religion?, ASU Now, January 22, 2021.
- The 2020 election is over, but our problems are not. Where do we go from here?, The Arizona Republic, November 2020. Steve Goldstein and Phil Boas discuss this article on an episode of The Show on KJZZ, "The Nature of Truth", November 23, 2020.
- Biden's Inaugural Address Bolsters Civil Religion, The Show on KJZZ, January 21, 2021.
- Biden's inaugural speech called for Americans to embrace civil religion. What does that mean? NBC News Think, January 20, 2021.
- America’s War on Syrian Civilians, The New Yorker, December 14, 2020.
- Coronavirus: News media sounded the alarm for months – but few listened, The Conversation, March 2020.
- How the Christian Right Helped Foment Insurrection, Reveal, January 30, 2021.
- Unholy: Why White Evangelicals Worship at the Altar of Donald Trump, Random House, 2020. Posner discusses the book with Terry Gross on NPR's Fresh Air, July 2020.
- After Orthodox Priest Suspended for ‘Stop the Steal’ Activity, A Renewed Spotlight on the Orthodox Far-Right, Religion Dispatches, January 26, 2021.
- Fieldwork and Fallout with the Far Right, American Ethnologist, June 2020.
- The Necessity of Trust in Democracy, Thought Huddle, December 2020.
- In Arizona, a Tale of 2 Pandemic Realities, PBS NewsHour, June 2020.
- The Accusations Were Lies. But Could We Prove It?, The New York Times Magazine, March 2020.
- Arendt, Hannah. “Truth and Politics,” in Between Past and Future: Eight Exercises in Political Thought (Penguin, 1968). Note: originally published in The New Yorker, February 25, 1967, and reprinted with minor changes in Between Past and Future (1968).
- Blight, David W. "How Trumpism May Endure." New York Times (January 9, 2021).
- Bonhoeffer, Dietrich. “What is Meant by 'Telling the Truth'”, In Bonhoeffer’s Ethics (New York: The Macmillian Company, 1964).
- Elson, John T. “Toward a Hidden God.” Time 87, no. 14 (April 8, 1966). Note: the cover says “Is God Dead?”, and the article that goes with the cover is titled “Toward a Hidden God”.
- Flake, Jeff. “Truth and Democracy.” Senate floor speech from January 17, 2018. Video of the speech: “Jeff Flake condemns President Trump's attacks on media -- FULL SPEECH (C-SPAN)." C-SPAN youtube channel (Jan 17, 2018).
- Lepore, Jill. These Truths: A History of the United States (W. W. Norton & Company, 2019).
- Lepore, Jill. The Last Archive (podcast: https://thelastarchive.com).
- Lewis, John. “Together, You Can Redeem the Soul of Our Nation.” New York Times (July 30, 2020).
- Moyers, Bill. “Losing Reality: Can We Get the Truth Back? Bill Moyers in Conversation with Robert Jay Lifton.” Common Dreams. March 9, 2020.
- O’Gorman, Ned. Politics for Everybody: Reading Hannah Arendt in Uncertain Times (Chicago: University of Chicago Press, 2020).
- Randazzo, Christy. "The Sleepers Must Awaken." Political Theology Network. March 23, 2020.
- Rosenfeld, Sophia. “Truth and Consequences.” The Hedgehog Review 21, no. 2 (2019). Issue topic: Reality and its Alternatives.
- Scherer, Michael. “Can Trump Handle the Truth?” Time 189, no. 12 (April 3, 2017): 32-39. Note: the cover says “Is Truth Dead?”, and the article that goes with the cover is “Can Trump Handle the Truth?”
- Kakutani, Michiko. The Death of Truth: Notes on Falsehood in the Age of Trump (Tim Duggan Books, 2018).
- Long, D. Stephen. Truth Telling in a Post-Truth World (Wesley's Foundery Books, 2019).
- McIntyre, Lee. Post-Truth (The MIT Press, 2018).
- Snyder, Timothy. “The American Abyss.” The New York Times (January 9, 2021).