Religion, Journalism, and Democracy: Strengthening Vital Institutions of Civil Society
- Alexander, Jeffrey C. The Civil Sphere. Oxford; New York: Oxford University Press, 2006.
- Arato, Andrew, and Jean L. Cohen. "Civil Society, Populism and Religion." Constellations 24, no. 3 (2017): 283-95.
- Calhoun, Craig. "Civil Society and the Public Sphere." Public Culture 5, no. 2 (1993): 267-280.
- Casanova, Jose. "Civil Society and Religion: Retrospective Reflections on Catholicism and Prospective Reflections on Islam." Social Research 68, no. 4 (2001): 1041-080.
- Day, Abby. “The conflict between religion and media has deep roots.” The London School of Economics and Political Science. August 2016. Accessed at: http://blogs.lse.ac.uk/religionglobalsociety/2016/08/the-conflict-between-religion-and-media-has-deep-roots/.
- Eberly, Don E. The Essential Civil Society Reader: Classic Essays in the American Civil Society Debate. Lanham, Md.: Rowman & Littlefield, 2000: 3-29.
- Fallows, James M., and Fallows, Deborah. Our Towns: A 100,000-mile Journey into the Heart of America. First ed. New York: Pantheon, 2018.
- Garber, Megan. “To Be a Good Citizen, First Pay Attention.” The Atlantic. June 2018. Accessed at: https://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2018/06/citizenship-in-our-time-is-about-how-you-spend-your-attention/563912/
- “Honduran civil society facing rising threats.” CIVICUS. July 2016. Accessed at: https://www.civicus.org/index.php/media-resources/media-releases/2380-joint-alert-honduran-civil-society-facing-rising-threats.
- Ivereigh, Austen. “Religious faith builds a civil society in a way secularism does not.” The Guardian. September 2011. Accessed at: https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/belief/2011/sep/29/religious-faith-civil-society-secularism.
- Miller, Donald E. The Oxford Handbook of Civil Society. 1st ed. Oxford University Press, 2011: 257–267.
- Rauch, Jonathan. “Containing Trump.” The Atlantic. March 2017. Accessed at: https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2017/03/containing-trump/513854/.
- Walzer, Michael. Toward a Global Civil Society. International Political Currents; Vol. 1. Providence: Berghahn Books, 1995: 1–4.
- Warren, Mark E. The Oxford Handbook of Civil Society. 1st ed. Oxford University Press, 2011: 377–388.
Religion & Journalism:
- French, David. “If You Don’t ‘Get’ Religion, You Can’t ‘Get’ America or the World” National Review. December 2016. Accessed at: https://www.nationalreview.com/2016/12/religion-american-media-coverage-dumb-reporting-sins/
Greguska, Emma. “ASU prof on the relationship between religion and the media” ASU Now. August 2017. Accessed at: https://asunow.asu.edu/20170810-global-engagement-asu-prof-relationship-between-religion-and-media
Malone, Matt. “Pursuing the Truth in Love: The mission of 'America' in a 21st-century church” America Magazine. March 2014. Accessed at: https://www.americamagazine.org/issue/pursuing-truth-love
Montgomerie, Tim. “A media that doesn’t ‘do God’ isn’t worth believing in.” UnHerd. May 2018. Accessed at: https://unherd.com/2018/05/media-doesnt-god-isnt-worth-believing/
Peterson, Anne Helen. “That doesn't mean dumbing it down.” Tiny Letter. February 2018. Accessed at: https://tinyletter.com/annehelenpetersen/letters/that-doesn-t-mean-dumbing-it-down?elqTrackId=edefc7e9ce464db5ba74e95faefc8454&elq=b338add3b56f452ebf80f15ca794325e&elqaid=18480&elqat=1&elqCampaignId=8295
- Op-Ed Writing: Tips and Tricks. (n.d.). Accessed at: https://www.theopedproject.org/oped-basics/
Reporting on Religion:
Rezaian, Yeganeh. “How Women Journalists Are Silenced in a Man’s World: The Double-Edged Sword of Reporting from Muslim Countries.” Harvard Kennedy School – Shorenstein Center. June 2017. Accessed at: https://shorensteincenter.org/women-journalists-muslim-countries-yeganeh-rezaian/
Religion & Democracy:
Elshtain, Jean Bethke. "Religion and Democracy." Journal of Democracy 20, no. 2 (2009): 5-17.
Gershman, Carl. “Religion and Democracy.” Jean Bethke Elshtain: Politics, Ethics, and Society. Ed. Le Chevallier Erickson and Debra Erickson. University of Notre Dame, 2018: 332-349.
“The Prague Appeal for Democratic Renewal.” Freedom House. May 2017. Accessed at: https://freedomhouse.org/blog/prague-appeal-democratic-renewal
Religion & Violence:
Cavanaugh, William T. "The Invention of Fanaticism.” Modern Theology 27, no. 2 (2011): 226-237.
Cavanaugh, William T. The Myth of Religious Violence Secular Ideology and the Roots of Modern Conflict. Oxford, U.K.; New York, N.Y.: Oxford University Press, 2009.